Canson Marker paper

Prelude

I have compared 45 different papers for markers. I have not included any papers that are not specified for markers by the company that produce them. It is not uncommon that an art store will market a paper as a marker-paper but if you look at the brands homepage they are not label as a marker paper. But with that said, a lot of other kinds of paper can work very well with markers, for example watercolor paper (even though they will “eat” the ink in the marker a lot faster than any other paper). I also tried some Japanese sumi-e paper with good and interesting result.  I might write more about that in the future. For now, this is a marker paper review.

The theory and method for thinner marker paper (70-80 g/m2)

I started with some small samples to se color saturation and value, bleeding and feathering.

I am a firm believer in working the paper as you normally would, to be able to fully understand the potential the paper has, so I decided to do a drawing on every paper.
I especially wanted to test the blending and layering abilities. With blending I mean that I work wheat in wheat, and with layering I let the ink dry before I put another layer on top.

Before I started my drawing I wrote down the name of the brand on the paper. I then covered the name so I wouldn't se which paper I was working on. I wanted it to be a blind test.


Canson XL marker paper
I have earlier tried to do the exact same drawing but found that this only works if you compare two or three of them. When you compare many items (as I have done earlier; I compared 29 markers, and now I compare a lot of papers) the chances are huge that the first couples of drawings are a less good than the following (because you are learning) and the last ones are pretty bad because it get so monotonous that it is very difficult to do a good job. At least that is true for me. I therefore chose to draw every drawing different but in the same manner and use the same subject (in this case, one girl stood model for all drawings). I also chose to use the same colors for the face and hair on every drawing.

Canson XL marker 70 g/m2                                                                   


This French paper is available in A4, A3 and A2 pads.
                       
Canson marker paper
The paper is smooth and white. The front side and the backside of the paper differ; you cannot use the backside to draw on.

Color saturation is as good as any paper but it becomes a bit grainy and it will feather out quite much. The feathering bothers me a lot, even though it is not so bad if you color every inch of the paper.

Canson also produce the Canson Marker pro layout 70 g/m2.

I cannot se or feel any difference between these two products from Canson.

This acid free paper are available in three pads sizes; 9x12 in (which is 22x30 cm), 11x14 in (which is 27,94x35, 56 cm), 14x17 in or 19x 24.

Conclusion: I think this is not the best paper, but it is ok to use as a paper to try ideas or color swatches on. I will however not buy it again.    

Canson marker paper drawing

Canson pro layout paper drawing

Canson pro layout 

Canson XL


2 kommentarer:

  1. Hello,
    I'm really a begginer.
    I bought this paper. But I do I know the right from wrong side? Is there any test? In one side the paper absorbs more. In the other less. The right side is the side the paper abosrbs more?

    SvaraRadera
  2. Hi! Yes the right side absorbs more, and the wrong side resist the ink, the ink will gather in a pool. The right side is also a bit less smooth compare with the wrong side and the edges feels slightly bend down towards the wrong side. Best is to mark the right side (which is always up in the pad) before remove it from the pad. Hope that helps :-)

    SvaraRadera